Minnesota Isotope Group
The Minnesota Isotope Group studies a wide range of timescales, from millions of years ago to modern. We are well equipped with a variety of lab space, mass spectrometers and other equipment. Please peruse these pages for further information on research interests and capabilities.
· Hai Cheng, TIMS Lab Manager
· Maniko Kamei, Stable Isotope Lab Manager
· Victor Zabielski
· Rebecca Clotts
· Carolyn Dykoski
· Megan Kelly
· Sam Matson
· Sushmita Ray
· Mark Shapley
· Rebecca Thomas
· Laura Triplett
· Xianfeng Wang
Minnesota Isotope Laboratory
· TIMS facility:
· Thermal ionization mass spectrometers with multiple cups, high-abundance sensitivity and ion-counting capabilities.
· An inductively coupled plasma magnetic sector mass spectrometer.
· Clean rooms for purification and separation of trace metals.
· Stable Isotope Laboratory facility:
· Finnigan MAT Delta E mass spectrometer
· Finnigan MAT 252 mass spectrometer with Kiel device (to measure isotope ratios of C, N, O and S; the Delta E also can measure HD ratios)
· Diurnal incubators
· Circulating and shaking water baths
· Analytical balances
· Muffle furnace and drying ovens
· Vacuum extraction lines supporting stable isotope analysis of carbonates (C, O), water (O, H, DIC), silicates and oxides (O), and organic material (O, C).
· State-of-the-art Sediment Core Research Facility (an NSF National Facility)
· Field systems for collection of cores from diverse lake types
· Integrated Core Studies Laboratory comprising:
· A: Initial Core Description stations including multi-sensor logging, splitting, microscopy, photo-digital documentation, laser-grain size.
· B: Geochemical Stratigraphy stations including inorganic and organic carbon couloumetry, sulfur, and biogenic silica
· C: Optical microscopy lab with stations for paleoecology, organic and mineral petrography, and fluorescence
· D: Special studies stations including AMS Radiocarbon target preparation, digital image and spectral analysis, and sample separations for external analyses.
· E: Library of sediment cores from lakes worldwide