385-12 Tate Hall
PhD, 2000, Columbia University
I am trained in oceanography and low temperature geochemistry. The general areas of my research are carbon cycle, climate change, and their interactions. Typically, I use physics-biogeochemistry coupled models of global ocean in order to probe carbon-climate feedbacks. The time period of interest spans the late Pleistocene glacial-interglacial, the modern, and the near future. Recently I have been interested in how the plasticity of phytoplankton's chemical makeup affects the global ocean carbon cycle and why dissolved organic carbon in the deep ocean is so old. A local research interest is Lake Superior. I aim to understand the formation and migration of Lake Superior's thermal bar using satellite imagery and numerical modeling.
- Earth Surface Dynamics
- Introductory Geology Field Camp
- Science and Politics of Global Warming
- Biogeochemical Cycles in the Ocean
- Graduate seminars
Selected Publications (*advisee)
- *Tanioka, T. and K. Matsumoto, Effects of incorporating age-specific traits of zooplankton into a marine ecosystem model, Ecological Modelling, 368, doi:10.1016/j.ecolmodel.2017.11.024, 2018.
- *McKinney, P.J., K. Tokos, and K. Matsumoto, Modeling nearshore-offshore exchange in Lake Superior, PLoS ONE 13(2), doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0193183, 2018.
- *Tanioka, T. and K. Matsumoto, Buffering of ocean carbon export production by flexible elemental stoichiometry, Global Biogeochemical Cycles, doi:10.1002/2017GB005670, 2017.
- Matsumoto, K., K. Tokos, and *C. Gregory, Ventilation and dissolved oxygen cycle in Lake Superior: Insights from a numerical model, Geochemistry, Geophysics, Geosystems, 16, doi:10.1002/2015GC005916, 2015.
- Matsumoto, K. and Y. Yokoyama, Atmospheric Δ14C reduction in simulations of Atlantic overturning circulation shutdown, Global Biogeochemical Cycles, 27, 1-9, doi:10.1002/gbc.20035, 2013.
- *McKinney, P., B. Holt, and K. Matsumoto, Small eddies observed in Lake Superior using SAR and sea surface temperature data, J. Great Lakes Research, 38, 786-797, 2012.
- *White, B. and K. Matsumoto, Causal mechanisms of the deep chlorophyll maximum in Lake Superior: A numerical modeling investigation, J. Great Lakes Research, 38, 504-513, 2012.
- Matsumoto, K., K. Tokos, M. O. Chikamoto, and A. Ridgwell, Characterizing postindustrial changes in the oean carbon cycle in an Earth system model, Tellus, 62B, 296-313, 2010.
- Matsumoto, K., Biology-mediated temperature control on atmospheric pCO2 and ocean biogeochemistry, Geophysical Research Letters, 34, L20605, doi:10.1029/2007GL031301, 2007.
- Matsumoto, K., Radiocarbon-based circulation age of the world oceans, J. Geophysical Research, 112, C09004, doi:10.1029/2007JC004095, 2007.
- Contributing author to Jansen, E., J. Overpeck, and others, Paleoclimate, Chapter 6 inClimate Change 2007: The Physical Science Basis. Contribution of WG1 to the Fourth Assessment Report of the IPCC, edited by S. Solomon and others. Cambridge University Press, 2007.
- Matsumoto, K. and N. Gruber, How accurate is the estimation of anthropogenic carbon in the ocean? An evaluation of the DC* method, Global Biogeochemical Cycles, 19, GB3014, doi:10.1029/2004GB002397, 2005.
- Matsumoto, K. and 35 others, Evaluation of ocean carbon cycle models with data-based metrics, Geophysical Research Letters, 31, L07303, doi:10.1029/2003GL018970, 2004.
- Matsumoto, K., J.L. Sarmiento, and M.A. Brzezinski, Silicic acid "leakage" from the Southern Ocean: A possible explanation for glacial atmospheric pCO2, Global Biogeochemical Cycles, 16(3), 10.1029/2001GB001442, 2002.
Recent Research Support
- NSF: Collaborative research: Exploring hypotheses of southern hemisphere westerly wind changes on Southern Ocean circulation and
- NASA: Seasonal evolution of the coastal thermal front and small eddies in the Great Lakes as characterized by satellite SST and SAR imagery and numerical modeling
Recent Honors and Awards
- Elsevier Best Paper by a Student (White, PhD advisee), Journal of Great Lakes Research, 2013
- AGU Editor's Citation for Excellence in Refereeing - Global Biogeochemical Cycles, 2012
- University of New South Wales Visiting Fellow, 2012
- University of Tasmania Visiting Scholar, 2012
- University of Tokyo Visiting Professor, 2011-2012
- University of Minnesota McKnight Land-Grant Professorship, 2008